Tuesday, November 6, 2007

L'enfant se cache




I watched l'Enfant last Saturday.
The only reason why I went to this year’s Festival Sinema Perancis and watched that particular feature was because it won Palm d'Or on last year Cannes Film Festival.

Actually, I do have another option to watch, and that would be Caché, another French feature starred by one of my favorite actress, Juliette Binoche.

But after making some quick assumptions, taking into calculations the fact that the latter only got nominated for the award and the first one took home the ultimate honor, I opted for The Child (a.k.a. l'Enfant) instead.

In the first 10 minutes of its screening, somehow I knew I made a mistake by choosing this feature.

My Goodness!

It was extraordinarily boring, almost a mind numbing experience.
I can not wait for it to end.
Fin.

So I could express my much disappointment to my friends who were watching Caché instead. Even though the festival’s ticket only cost me less than any tall Starbucks frappucino, I still feel cheated by the award-winner label.

But somehow, still I managed to find some moral lessons from its story:
First, youngsters should be given full access to family-planning devices, so that the girls would not get pregnant easily.
Second, pricks are everywhere. They should be punished (as a harsh lesson) for every harm and mistake they did to others.
Third, Belgian movies sometimes sucks (after some browsing, I found out that l'Enfant was actually a non-French feature that unintentionally reminded people of Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment).
Fourth, never take Golden Palm winners for granted. Yes, you should never trust European's tastes, especially those French people (even though this was actually a Belgian-made).
Fifth, movies about animals (i.e. La Marche de l'empereur) sometimes were much better than human-starred ones.

Perhaps I should've stick with Caché instead...





{ Original article of L'enfant se cache was posted online in my Friendster’s Bulletin Board under the title of 21 Jimmys of l’Enfant on June 5th, 2006 }

No comments: