Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Play It Again, Sam



Ilsa: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.
Sam: [lying] I don't know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.
Ilsa: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."
Sam: [lying] Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Ilsa. I'm a little rusty on it.
Ilsa: I'll hum it for you.
Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum...
[Sam begins playing]
Ilsa: Sing it, Sam.
Sam: [singing] You must remember this / A kiss is still a kiss / A sigh is just a sigh / The fundamental things apply / As time goes by. / And when two lovers woo, / They still say, "I love you" / On that you can rely / No matter what the future brings-...
Rick: [rushing up] Sam, I thought I told you never to play-...
[Sees Ilsa. Sam closes the piano and rolls it away]

* * *


Most of you, I believe, could instantly recognized the title of this blog-entry and the dialogue excerpts were from Casablanca, a movie claimed by many as (one of) the finest ever made in cinematiqué histoire.

But this piece of writing here would not talk about “Casablanca” as a movie but more likely to explain as why I chose certain quote as the title of my blog. The ‘original’ idea was like to give tribute to one of the most famous and most remembered movie quotes in history, which turned out to be inaccurate.

You’ve read the original lines at the beginning of this writing but somehow throughout these years, people kind of mixed them up into what had now become the title for this blog-entry (even Woody Allen wrote a play and a screenplay based upon it).

Anyway, what I really (wanted and) am trying to convey here from the beginning is that in the said movie, “As Time Goes By” was a very special song for Ilse Lund and Rick Blaine when they were still together as lovers in Paris, before the World War II broke out.

The song that would forever reminded them of how happy they were back then.

The song that would always brought back the bittersweet memories.
The song that they would cherished for as long as they live, so that they could always remember that one particular time when they have Paris.

And that was how I get the idea for this blog-entry.

I am going to post certain song-lyrics that affected or influenced me – either my feelings, views, or even my life as a whole – in one way or another, and also write reason(s) as why those particular song-lyrics have (/had) impact(s) on me.

And by doing so, hopefully that as time goes by, I too, can always have Paris ...

No comments: